Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Organic Foods: When It's Worth It & When It's Not

I am blogging this mainly for my own reference.  It's from a Magazine article I'd saved, but I don't always remember where I've put it, and I never remember all of the foods on the lists.  The article goes into detail about why each food is on the list, the names of the pesticides and chemicals involved, but I'm not going to type all that up here.  Suffice it to say that the list of 12 Fruits and Veggies you SHOULD buy Organic are really bad for you if you don't!

BUY ORGANIC
1. Peaches
2. Apples
3.  Pears
4. Winter Squash
5. Green Beans (ugh! almost never buy these organic)
6. Grapes
7. Strawberries
8. Raspberries
9. Spinach
10. Tomatoes
11. Cantaloupe

crazy article, that makes 11, not 12.  Being that Spinach is on the list, I'm going to suggest all leafy lettuces, as well as chards and other greens ought to be here too. 

And fortunately there are 12 fruits and veggies that you can go ahead and buy conventionally grown; generally these have been found to not retain pesticides and other chemicals used.  :)

CONVENTIONALLY GROWN ~ OKAY to buy and eat, no need to buy Organic with these.
1. Bananas
2. Kiwi
3. Mangos
4. Papaya
5. Pineapple
6. Asparagus
7. Avocado
8. Broccoli
9. Cauliflower
10. Corn
11. Onions
12. Peas

The article mentions a couple of noteworthy points.  First, one year olds eat 3 times as many fresh peaches, per pound of body weight as do adults, and more than four times as much apples and pears!  Their bodies are also more vulnerable to the toxins.  Secondly, pregnant woman should take care because many pesticides cross the placenta to the fetus. 
Thirdly, (this is from me) the article focuses on produce, and I want to mention that meat, poultry, eggs and dairy products can contain antibiotics, and heavy metals such as arsenic which are used to promote growth in animals.  So... stick with organic for your proteins folks. 
To our health!

No comments:

Post a Comment