Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Problem with Mirrors.

On today’s Renewing Your Mind broadcast R.C. Sproul tells the story of when he joined weight watchers. Drinking straws were passed out to the new members as a symbol of the ‘straw that broke the camels back’. They were asked to share what that ‘straw’ was that finally led to coming to the class. R.C shared the following… “it was the fact that I got tired of averting my eyes from the glass in front of stores as I would walk past and I could see the reflection of my stomach in the glass. I got so tired of seeing that! And of artificially sucking in my stomach because of what I was seeing in the glass! The point is, I found that I didn’t even want to look in the mirror, because I didn’t like what I saw.”

This radio message is about God’s word being like a mirror, R.C. goes on to say the following; “I wonder if that’s why we avoid the law of God, because we don’t want to look in that mirror. But we need to look into the mirror, because what we see in the mirror drives us to the gospel, alerts us to our desperate need for the gospel. The mirror of the law of God, beloved, is bad news and until we look in it we’ll never understand the goodness of the good news.”

The world seeks to suppress your conscience, to avoid the pesky ‘straw that breaks the camels back’. I believe that Churches that follow the method of soft sermons, which try to avoid the more confrontational (illuminating) points of scripture, that try to make the listener comfortable and happy, offends God and assists people along their pathway toward a godless eternity.

If you attend such a Church, you might want to start supplementing your listening habits with some more substantial & biblical truth. Some people prefer blissful ignorance, but trust me that is just a temporary state with a bad outcome. A few good places to start:

http://www.ligonier.org/rym/

http://www.walkintheword.com/broadcast.aspx

http://www.harvest.org/radio/

No comments:

Post a Comment